Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A-hum • Djembe • Kurama

I bought A-hum on 21st December 2010 in Kyoto, Japan. I named this new african djembe of mine the very next day on the mountain in Kurama Temple right in front of the main Kurama temple. Yuya was telling me about the 2 mythical guardians on the two sides of the main hall facing the mountains and the meaning behind their names - A and Hum (in Sanskirt). "A" , like the sound of opening your mouth and "hum", like the sound of closing it. "A", the beginning of the universe. "hum", the end where everything goes back to its root.


I thought it'll make a beautiful and simple name for my new drum and I love the meaning behind it.


A-hum is small like me. Somewhat unpolished still but I hope I will have a great connection with A-hum, synchonising in thoughts and rhythms, knowing what we both are thinking someday, like the two shrine koma inu.



The spot in the centre in front of Kurama facing the mountains. Our favorite spot.

A on the right, hum on the left facing temple.


Lovely walk through the forest for a few hours. Bumped into no one except for a single old man jogging.
Had the whole forest to ourselves that cool, fine day.

Ahum still in Kenji's Djembe workshop, tuning


No comments:

Post a Comment